• Second Quarter Report Cards will be Available on February 6th

• On January 23 from 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM there will be a CHS Project Graduation Meeting

• On January 25 at 6:30 PM CHS will hold a Curriculum Orientation

• Junior Class Fundraiser Designs by Mom January 12th, check Instagram for Details

• January 11th at 6:30 PM CHS- PTO Meeting

• January 10th at 6:30 PM CHS- International Thespian Society Induction

Back to the Future: It’s all in the future?

Back to the Future Part 2 makes some predictions for the year 2015.

Photo Credit: Photo via www.imdb.com under Creative Commons License.

By: Alexandra Powanda, Fall Reporter and Editor

It’s finally here, October 21, 2015! On this day Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown found themselves in the future in the 1989 film Back to the Future Part II. These two characters travel from October 26, 1985 to October 21, 2015 using a time machine made out an old DeLorean car.

The movie Back to the Future provided many predictions for what 2015 might be like, and now the year is no longer the future but the present. Movie theaters will be playing this old film on October 21st as many people are still fans of this series. Some predictions from this movie became real but others have yet to happen.

Hoverboards

During Back to the Future Marty grabs a hoverboard found on the street to make a quick escape. Now in 2015 many people have attempted to make hoverboards and some companies are even selling boards under the name hoverboards but none are like the ones the do not touch the ground in Back to the Future. There are hoverboards that use a magnetic force to make them lift a slight amount off of the ground but they can not be ridden wherever desired like in the movie. Lexus has built a magnetic hoverboard skate park outside of Barcelona according to GrindTV.

Hands-free video games

Xbox 360 Kinect allows people to play video games hands free.

Photo Credit: Photo via flickr.com under Creative Commons License.

In a small cafe Marty enters he sees a video game from his time sitting untouched in 2015. Marty later sees two kids trying to figure out how to play the game, when Marty goes and teaches them they reply, “You have to use your hands? That’s a baby game.” While video games using your hands do still exist, hands-free video games also exist now. Xbox Kinect gives you the power to control a game using your body and other arcade games like Dance Dance Revolution.

Baseball

When Marty first finds himself in 2015 he sees an announcement about the Chicago Cubs winning the 2015 World Series against Miami, this prediction is partly true. Miami had started a team in 1993, however they will not be playing in the 2015 World Series. The Cubs are currently making there way to the World Series and it is currently unknown if they will win making this prediction true.

Pepsi Perfect

Marty enters a local cafe while in 2015 and he asks for a Pepsi, and then receives a “Pepsi Perfect.” Pepsi recently made an announcement that they will be releasing Pepsi Perfect for a limited time, and the only way to purchase it will be online.

Flying Cars

Flying cars are something that is still yet to exist. Unfortunately, in 2015 cars flying in the sky are not something to see. People are still driving on the ground but maybe in another 30 years this will be possible.

Self-tying shoes

In the movie Dr. Emmett Brown gives Marty a pair of Nike sneakers, when he puts them on the sneakers immediately lace themselves. Nike has been working on making these sneakers possible for a while and they will be releasing a few pairs in honor of Back to the Future.

Video calls

2015 Marty makes a conference call with his boss when he gets home, something not possible in 1985. Today making video calls is so common with apps and websites like Skype, Oovoo, and Facetime.

Tablet computers

Dr. Emmett Brown is seen with a tablet computer during the movie, similar to the iPads that have existed for quite sometime already.

Eye wear

While watching the McFly family sit at a table eating dinner Marty’s children are seen with glasses on that are able to make phone calls and surf the internet. These glasses do exist today, they are call Google Glass and were sold to the public for a while.

Google Glass compared to the eye wear seen in Back to the Future.

Photo Credit: Photo via Wikipedia under Creative Commons License.

Movie Remakes

On a billboard that Marty passes it advertises for the new movie Jaws 19. This mild prediction was right about movies having an unnecessary amount of sequels and remakes.

Holograms

When Marty sees the Jaws advertisement a shark hologram pops up at him, simulating trying to eat someone. A new DIY project that has been popping up all over the internet recently makes holograms possible by using a cut up CD case and a smart phone. Videos explaining this can be found on youtube.

The question that still remains unanswered is were these inventions created after the movie inspired people to create them or did the writers of Back to the Future II know something in 1989 that the rest of us only know now.