A Year in Review: Scary Movies

When it comes to thrills and horror, 2013 contained spine-chilling movies.

This year, one of the most popular genres of movies to go see was a horror film. This year 2013 had some of the best horror films; one of the top favorites being Insidious 2. Insidious 2, a sequel to Insidious, is about a husband and wife trying to decode their connection into the spirit world. It runs for one hour and 42 minutes and had a box office of $155,417,256. It was very popular in many movie theaters.

Another movie that was very successful when it hit theaters was The Conjuring. The Conjuring is about personal investigators trying to help a secluded couple who live in the middle of nowhere get rid of their paranormal visitors.  In the box office it brought in over $137.4 Million (according to RottenTomatoes.com), with over 400,000 people going out to the movies to see it.

Recently, scary movies are trying to connect more to paranormal situations. It is a huge hit with today’s society and producers are realizing that. Gone are the days of Michael Myers, Freddy and Jason, and in are spooky spirits. I think the paranormal aspects of scary movies are really starting to kick up because of how many people are skeptical of it. It is a very controversial topic and that is why it is succeeding so much.

Overall, the 2013 year of scary movies was a definite success. Horror was the most successful genre of movies for 2013. It will be hard for 2014 to measure up to the creepiest films of 2013. To the silver screen, bring on the goosebumps.