Spark’s takes readers on an emotional rollercoaster

Sparks takes readers on an emotional rollercoaster

From one of the world’s most beloved storytellers, Nicholas Sparks doesn’t surprise readers with his book The Last Song which was published in 2009. Just another fantastic love story to add on to all the other novels he has written.

The Last Song was just another Sparks’ novel to make it to the New York Times bestsellers; Sparks popularity continues to evolve throughout the world. Not only were all of his books a hit but eight of his books have been turned into ground breaking films also. The Last Song specifically outsold all other titles that were released in the same week.

The storyline follows a teen girl, Veronica “Ronnie” Miller and her younger brother, Jonah Miller when they go to their father’s house to spend the summer. Their parents happen to be divorced and this trip comes as a downfall to Ronnie. The trip was recommended by their mother that it would be in everyone’s best interest.

Their father was once a teacher and a concert pianist but now resides in Wilmington. In the story, he is very concerned about creating a work of art that will help serve as a center piece for the neighborhood’s burnt down church. The family turmoil begins as the children have a different reaction to spending time with their father– Jonah is thrilled to see their father, while Ronnie escapes to the local carnival and doesn’t appear back until dark.

As the story goes on and gets closer to the end, characters change and unthinkable things happen. The story fills you with emotions: sadness, happiness, laugher, and you may just shed a tear. A book is always much more enjoyable when you feel at one with the characters and the story line.

Sparks does a fantastic job at connecting you with the story and feeling the feelings the characters do. However, a major fault lies with an alteration to the storyline in the movie. I believe that in order to figure out the truth behind the parents’ divorce you must read the book.

Throughout the 390 pages of the book you find out how powerful love is and how it changes you. This novel is the perfect book for young readers looking for that one amazing love story to have them crying and then smiling in the next second.

View Comments (1)