Colonia High’s First GMC Champion Golfer, Ben Snyderman

Photo Credit: From Ben Snyderman
Ben Snyderman follows through on his swing and watches the ball.

On May 19, 2016, Colonia High School Junior Ben Snyderman became the first Colonia golfer to win the Greater Middlesex Conference Golf Tournament. Facing off against some of the top golfers in the conference, Snyderman won the tournament by two strokes, with a score of three over par 75. He beat out Tom Summers of St. Joe’s High School (5 over par, 77) and and Eric Pizzulli of Old Bridge (5 over par, 77).

Snyderman had a little bit of trouble on the back nine, which he played first, of the difficult Forsgate Country Club golf course. He shot a three over par 39 on the back nine. Snyderman said “the back nine wasn’t much trouble, but I was getting the toughest breaks here and there. I was missing short putts, and making little mistakes”. He explained that he definitely could have done much better. After the back nine, however, on the front nine, Snyderman started to get into a groove and shot a much-improved even 36.

Snyderman has been golfing since the young age of eight. Snyderman’s father is an avid golfer and he was inspired by his father to start golfing and follow in his footsteps. Snyderman said that if it weren’t for his father, he would not have been a golfer today. Snyderman works hard to improve his game and is either in the gym or on the driving range nearly every opportunity he gets. Over the span of 3 golf seasons, Snyderman improved his scoring average by a huge margin. He improved from a 95 over par to a 75 over par. The consistent increase in scoring average is a tribute to the many hours he has spent on the driving range, perfecting his swing.

Coach Holmes has had some very talented golfers come through the program over the years, but Coach Holmes has said that Snyderman is definitely one of the most well-rounded players that he has ever been around. Coach Holmes said that Snyderman’s ability to stay calm and confident during the tournament allowed him to be successful and take home a big win to end the season. Coach Holmes admires Snyderman’s work ethic and has said that if Snyderman continues to keep up his work ethic like he has done so far, Coach Holmes can see Snyderman playing golf at the college level and beyond.

Snyderman describes his GMC Tournament win as one of the biggest wins in his career so far. He admitted he is very fortunate and blessed to have been able to achieve something like a GMC Tournament win. Snyderman was also recently named an All-Conference golfer. Coach Holmes has said that Snyderman has set the bar very high for his senior season and he hopes that Snyderman will continue the success he has had this season onto next season. Snyderman hopes to achieve more in the future and he is confident in his ability and work ethic to help him to take on bigger challenges.