Colonia’s bravest squash the flames

“Real hero’s don’t wear capes.”  The saying  describes the men and women who come to our aid when disaster strikes. The people that help us out when Superman and Batman can’t.
Photo Credit: Zachary Pereira
After being exposed to high heat, this shield melted on the helmet of Firefighter Vincent Pereira.

The Colonia Fire Department has been helping the people of Colonia since 1943 and continues to do so today. The men that work there not only risk their lives to help the community but do so as volunteers. Colonia’s Fire Department is home to volunteers young and old. Despite the difference in age all the men come together to share one common goal, protecting the community.

Vincent Pereira is a firefighter at Colonia as well as a paid firefighter in Port Reading. Pereira has been an active firefighter since 1986 giving him 30 years of experience on the job.  Pereira found himself starting his experience at the age of 18. “I followed in my father’s footsteps; he was a firefighter for 47 years. I grew up around the firehouse with him. The job looked exciting and seeing everybody helping people was neat too.”

Any one involved in the fire service will tell you it’s full of family and friends that last a lifetime. Pereira stated, “The first real fire I went to has to be my favorite memory. I was on the first due engine (The first fire truck at a fire call) for an attic fire. We went inside and did our job, when I came out I saw my dad. Who was on the second due engine(Second fire truck at a fire call). It was a nervous experience for both of us, but he was proud and said I did a good job. I was glad I got to share the moment with him.”

The Colonia fire department does more than putting out fires they respond to car r5 it’s a thankless job, you have to be willing to help people you know and don’t know and be able to do your job even if you don’t get any thanks for it. It’s also a job you need to take seriously even if you’re just volunteering, if you don’t you could get yourself or someone else killed.”

Also, inside of the Colonia Fire Department is the explorer program. Sponsored by the boy scouts of America the explorer program welcomes volunteers as young as 14 to learn the job of being a firefighter while not being put in danger.  “As an explorer, it is our job to assist the firefighters in any way we can. This can range from making copies for paperwork used in fire calls to aiding checking the equipment on each fire truck. In addition each explorer must learn the layout of each fire truck and the location of specific equipment to be able to ride on calls. Explorers are encouraged to explore the equipment and learn about each one by asking firefighters how they work and what they’re used for. The firefighters are very supportive in this area are always willing to help us learn more,” said Andrew Fugaro who is currently an explorer and a former student of Colonia High School.

Many things the firefighters learn, the explorers learn too. Starting at the age of 14 boys and girls in high school are welcome to join the explorer program. However being an explorer requires a great deal of responsibility.

Fugaro, similar to firefighter Pereira. Both had family as an influence to why they joined the fire department. Fugaro states, “My father had been on the department for many years, as long as I can remember. Where he has served as chief as well as other important positions. Watching him leave during family time to aid the community really inspired me, and when my older brother joined the explorer program that inspiration grew larger. To say I’m part of a family that serves its community fill me with pride. And knowing that I help out people fills me with joy.”