The magic of Christmas is found in The Santa Claus

Tim Allen as Santa Clause talks to elf Judy over a steaming cup of hot coco.
Photo Credit: photo via youtube under the creative commons license

The classic holiday tale of Santa Claus is retold in this comedic version starring Tim Allen himself as Santa Claus. The Christmas icon Santa Claus is seen like never before.

Scott Calvin (Tim Allen), a divorced business man goes to see his son for Christmas eve. He learns his ex wife (Wendy Crewson) and her new husband (Judge Reinhold) have tried – and failed – to break it easy to their 6-year-old son Charlie (Eric Lloyd) that Santa isn’t real.

On Christmas Eve, Scott reads The Night Before Christmas… then receives an unexpected visitor on his roof. When that visitor falls off the roof he magically disappears. Leaving  an empty suit a 8 reindeer behind. Scott now accompanied by Charlie reads the instructions in the “Santa” suit and climbs onto the roof.

Next, Scott spends the rest of the night delivering gifts around the world, hoping in and out of chimneys like a pro. When he returns to the north pole he meets head elf Bernard (David Krumholtz). Bernard tells Scott he is in fact the new Santa and he will have to return to the north pole no later than next thanksgiving.

Charlie is proud of his dad’s new job, though Scott’s convinced it’s a dream. Until his hair turns white, his beard refuses to stay shaved, and he gains weight overnight. His sudden love for junk food, and ability to tell the good kids from the bad convinces him. Accepting that he is Santa clause is only the first step into the magical world he enters.

On the run from the police for kidnapping charlie, Scott flees to the north pole taking on his role as the big man in red. They create one of the merriest Christmases around the world, and everything is resolved on Christmas Eve. The Calvin Family is at peace and their adventures have only just begun. The story of Santa Claus continues in two following installments.

On the Colonia Declaration holiday scale rating I would give The Santa Claus a five out of five candy canes. The film truly creates a holly jolly Christmas each time it comes on the screen.

First, the characters are believable in the roles they portray. Tim Allen, though reluctant at first, makes a perfect St. Nick. The costume is so realistic you can feel the jolly surging through him. The elves are adorable and shine with Christmas spirit.

The plot of the story is different than an average Santa Claus movie, it is inventive and exciting. The story explains all the possible questions one asks about the great Kris Kringle. Children with doubts can watch this movie and find inventive explanations for the magic of Christmas.

One interesting take on Santa in this movie is the way he enters houses without a fireplace. When there is no chimney or France fireplace, his magic creates one for him. Another common question is how he carries around all the presents for all the children of the world. In this rendition of Santa Claus, his bag magically fills with new toys for each house.

A classic Christmas movie the Santa Claus is always on my list when the December rolls in. It is a tradition of mine to watch the Santa Claus every Christmas Eve, a tradition that will never change. I recommend The Santa Claus to and Christmas movie lover.

Five out of five candy canes = A Holly Jolly Christmas
Photo Credit: Photo via wiki commons under creative commons license