Cooking Class baked treats for Rock-N-Bowl Fundraiser at Brunswick Zone

Photo Credit: Stephanie Polonis
After baking cookies for the Rock-n-Bowl fundraiser, the cooking class takes a moment to pose for a picture before cleaning up the kitchen.

The Foods 3 cooking class at Colonia High School has 28 students who are participating in an event to bake treats for the Rock-N-Bowl fundraiser. The Rock-N-Bowl in North Brunswick is hosting the event from 6 pm to 8 pm on Saturday March 1st. The event will be fundraising money for the Rutgers University Pediatric Center for Rare and Complex Disease (PCRCD) organization.

The PCRCD organization is fundraising money for young children suffering with particularly complex medical conditions. Since these children have rare and difficult diseases, their families typically pay a large amount of medical bills for constant appointments, treatments, emergency room visits, and hospitalization.

“We are expecting to have 250 people arrive at the event” says Kathryn Mollica, Foods 3 cooking teacher.

The four groups of students from the Foods 3 Cooking Class will bake roughly 500 cookies in total. All 28 students, and their cooking teacher, Mollica, will donate their time to bake these delicious treats on Thursday, February 27th. For the students that are getting involved to bake for the cause, they will receive up to five community service hours, depending on how many days they participate.

Mollica is hoping she can attend the event so she can see the outcome. The cookies will be given to anyone who wants one, for free. No profits will be made for these baked goods.

With these skilled high school students, the treats are sure to be loved by all who taste them at the fundraiser.

The PCRCD are hoping to raise as much money as possible for these families. The Jonty Foundation has generously offered to match all funds raised, up to $20,000.

The event will feature live classic rock music by the Seven Stone Band. The Brunswick Zone averages 5,000 customers a week, so this will be a hot spot for sponsors.

When asked if she is excited to bake for the event, senior Samantha Munoz replied, “Yeah, I like to help. I feel cooking is a good way to help out because you can raise money to help the cause.”

All 28 students and Mollica will work together and volunteer for the PCRCD fundraiser March 1st. They’ll not only earn volunteer hours, but also receive a memory with all their classmates that’ll bring them closer together.

View Comments (2)