The Couple Next Door thrills readers

Photo Credit: Frankie Brock
Silhouetted on the cover Anne Conti fears for the safety of her child.

If your looking for action, mystery, and excitement The Couple Next Door is the perfect novel. A criminal mystery revolving around the disappearance of a 6-month-old child, the reader finds themselves constantly pointing figures. Who kidnapped the child, who planned this mayhem, who should be held responsible?

If you don’t mind crazy, nefarious scenarios with outcomes that lead to more crazy, nefarious scenarios, you might just love this novel. It was easy to get totally lost in this book, and the desire to know the truth. I HAD to know the truth. I guessed the ending so many times, but should not have bothered, it was brilliant and had so many twists I was feeling motion sickness!
The Couple Next Door is an outstanding debut psychological thriller novel from author Shari Lapena, and one of the best reads this year! This novel, a child-abduction case, races along at an amazing speed, full of twists and turns, totally gripping the reader for the suspense ride from beginning to end. I kept flipping the pages as I had to know what had happened. I loved it! Sometimes when I read a crime-thriller, I become bored with the pace or exasperated with the clues and detective types, but not so this time. Each character had their own complex personality, and/or presence here, and there is never a dull moment.

Summary and Score

The Novel by author Shari Lapena, under the categories of Fiction, Thriller, Mystery, and Suspense, scored a 3.7 out of 5 stars on good reads. Also, 83 percent of Google users liked the book and would recommend it to fellow readers.

The book The Couple Next Door won the Goodreads Choice Awards Best Mystery & Thriller of the year. A fan favorite for book clubs and reading circles the novel comes with many questions and heated discussions.

Without spoiling the outcome of the novel it is hard to give a summary. If you intend on reading the book the most entertaining part is making your own assumptions and finding them inaccurate. Author Shari Lapena has a great imagination and impeccable writing style. She places blame on so many characters, and so many secrets are uncovered, you are blown away to find out who can truly be held responsible.

It is easy to find yourself sympathizing with the characters, but it is equally easy to judge them and place blame as well. This is a fear of main character Anne Conti, “she knows how judgmental mothers are, how good it feels to sit in judgment of someone else.”― Shari Lapena, The Couple Next Door

It is entertaining to put yourself in the mindset of the main characters especially in the following chain of events. Your neighbor told you that she didn’t want your six-month-old daughter at the dinner party. Nothing personal, she just couldn’t stand her crying.Your husband said it would be fine. After all, you only live next door. You’ll have the baby monitor and you’ll take it in turns to go back every half hour. Your daughter was sleeping when you checked on her last. But now, as you race up the stairs in your deathly quiet house, your worst fears are realized. She’s gone.You’ve never had to call the police before. But now they’re in your home. Who knows what they’ll find there. What would you be capable of, when pushed past your limit?

You never know what’s happening on the other side of the wall.