Frank Sinatra will make your Christmas a jolly one

Frank+Sinatra
Photo Credit: DeAndre Oglesby
Frank Sinatra will make your Christmas a jolly one.

Whenever Christmas rolls around, many people will listen to Mariah Carey or Andy Williams or Bing Crosby. However, one singer with probably one of the best Christmas albums has to be Frank Sinatra.

In 1957, A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra came out under the Capitol Records label. This was Sinatra’s first full-length Christmas album. RollingStones.com rates this album as the thirteenth greatest Christmas album of all time. It includes classics such as Jingle Bells, The Christmas Song, I’ll Be Home for Christmas, The Christmas Waltz, and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. Which in my opinion, are the best on the album. So I’ll be going into further detail about these songs.  

Jingle Bells

Many people have sung Jingle Bells before. But out of all the different versions, this one is probably the most unique. It opens with the Ralph Brewster Singers singing, “I love those J-I-N-G-L-E bells, Oh! Those holiday J-I-N-G-L-E bells, Oh! Those happy J-I-N-G-L-E B-E double L-S, I love those J-I-N-G-L-E bells, Oh!”

Then it transitions into Sinatra singing the typical lyrics of Jingle Bells that we all know and love. However, there are certain parts where the Brewster singers would sing along with Sinatra as well. From the unique lyrics and the catchy tune, this song is totally perfect.

I’ll Be Home for Christmas

This Christmas song is another sparkling gem from this album. I’ll Be Home for Christmas is sung from the point of view of a soldier who’s overseas, away from his family. He’s writing a letter, describing all the stuff that he wants for Christmas such as snow, mistletoe, and presents under the tree. However, the song ends on a somber note, with Sinatra singing, “I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.”

The most interesting part about this song is how it opens with the melody of Silent Night in the background. Which debatably, is the saddest Christmas song out there. So the song really knows how to kick you in the feels.

If you’re a fan of sad or somber Christmas songs, then you should definitely give it listen.

The Christmas Song

Although Nat King Cole’s version of The Christmas Song is the best, Sinatra also does a pretty good job. He’s able to capture the same nostalgic feeling of Christmas that Cole creates in his rendition. Unlike Cole’s version though, there’s a choir in the background that sings along with Sinatra at certain points in the song. Additionally, the beginning of the song has a beautiful tune that gets you right in the Christmas spirit. These factors are what makes Sinatra’s The Christmas Song stand on its own.

The Christmas Waltz

The Christmas Waltz is probably my second favorite song on this album. This song reminds you of everything that’s great about Christmas. From frosted windowpanes and painted candy canes. It opens with a choir beautifully singing, “Merry Christmas, may your new year’s dreams come true.” And it ends the same way as well. But probably my favorite is when the beat of the song speeds up when Sinatra would sing, “And this song of mine, In three-quarter time, Wishes you and yours, The same thing, too.”

However, despite how good The Christmas Waltz is, there’s one song on this album that easily trumps this one, and every other song.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Without a single doubt, this is probably the most recognizable and iconic Frank Sinatra Christmas song. And it’s easily one of my favorite Christmas songs of all time. Like The Christmas Waltz, this song reminds you of everything that’s amazing about the holiday season. Like how our troubles are miles away during this time, and faithful friends who are dear to us and how they’ll gather near to us. From the lyrics to the outstanding melody in the background, and to the beautiful voices of the choir, this song is easily one of the best out there. And if you aren’t listening to it, I can guarantee that you won’t be having a merry little Christmas.

Rating

Overall, I give A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra four Christmas lights out of five. All the songs are good, but the five mentioned are probably the only ones that are truly amazing. The others (Mistletoe and Holly, The First Noel, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Adeste Fideles, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, and Silent Night) are just mediocre at best. They’re good, but not that good. I wouldn’t really go out of my way to listen to them. However, I still recommend that you give this album a listen.

You can get A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra on iTunes for $9.99. Or if you want the vinyl cover, you can get it all Walmart for $22.92. So hurry and get this album as soon as you can.