Celebrating the Induction of the International Thespian Society

Photo Credit: Frankie Brock
Returning members and new members come together to take a photo of the Colonia High Thespian Troupe

The International Thespian society held its annual induction ceremony on January 10th, with a total of 12 new members. Advisers Mrs. Platko and Mrs. Abrams welcomed the new members with the help of society officers Sarah Gregory (president), Haley Vaughn (VP), Rebecca Melton (secretary), and Elaina Misciagna (treasurer).

The International Thespian Society (ITS), founded in 1929, is an honorary organization for high school and middle school theater students located at more than 4,600 affiliated secondary schools across America and abroad. The mission of ITS is to honor student achievement in the theater arts.

Induction is based on an international points system that takes into account the different programs or performances a student takes part in. To be awarded the honor of becoming an international thespian the students must achieve a minimum of 10 points. Points are awarded for acting, production, business, directing, writing, being an officer or audience member.

Following the signing of the troupe roster, students had to proclaim the pledge of the International Thespian Society

“I promise to uphold the aims and ideals of the International thespian society. I am a student of theatre and excellence is my ideal.  We Promise to perform my part as well as we can; to accept praise and criticism with grace; to cooperate with my fellow thespians and work for the good of the troupe, and to share my love for theater.”

The students work tirelessly to make the Colonia high theater program the best it can be. They take pride in every performance. Junior Maria Brock expressed her gratitude for being welcomed into the society, “It was great to see that all of our hard work and long hours put into the theater program that we love was appreciated. The Colonia High theater program has become a part of my family and now there’s one solid thing to bind us.” 

In the past year, the students have put on the entertaining musical Gypsy and the killer comedy Arsenic and Old Lace. Students have worked hard and faced challenges head rather than give up and walk away. They are eager to portray complex characters, as they have in the past two shows.  This upcoming March 22-24 Colonia will perform the classic fast-paced and upbeat musical Hairspray.

The Theater Program at Colonia high school produces talented, dedicated performers, hence many go on to study theater in college. As a result, they get to be a part of something much bigger than them, and that is the International Thespian Society. The students do not take this honor lightly, they beamed with pride as they sign their name on the troop roster. “It was an honor to join a society that is international, thespian society is worldwide and I’m so happy to be a part of something that connects so many people,” said three-year theater student Amanda Kavaja.

To conclude the night, awards were given to seniors for being an Honor Thespian, Best Thespian, and Most Dedicated Thespian. Most noteworthy was Sarah Gregory who es awarded the title of Honor thespian, earning over sixty points in her career at Colonia High School. Another award granted to Dervins Celestin and Elania Misciagna was the best thespian award. Finally, Kurt Jackson was granted the honor of most dedicated thespian, for his incredible dramatic performances. 

New Inductees

• Kelly Branco – 21 points
  • Maria Brock – 13
  • Amanda Kavaja – 18
  • Anthony Piccininni – 16
  • Julia Cleary – 28
  • Destiny Davis – 20
  • Landry miles – 23
  • Nicole Erhgott- 13 points
  • Anastasia Francisquini – 16 points
  • Melody Mozo – 12 points
  • Abigail Muccilli – 17 points
  • Skylar Trela – 13 points

Returning members

• Sarah Gregory – 60 points
  • Haley Vaughn –  33 points
  • Elaina Misciagna – 41 points
  • Rebecca Melton – 33 points
  • Kurt Jackson – 29  points
  • Dervens Celstin – 24 points
  • Jada Davis – 16 points
  • Ryan Campbell – 30 points
  • Jason Muller – 26
  • Jaden Riveles – 19 points