Boys’ volleyball hopes to dig their way to an ace of a season

Photo Credit: Photo via IG Brown and Education Center
Colonia faces big rival Woodbridge On April 2

The boys’ volleyball season is just beginning and the CHS team is coming off a successful season last year with a record of 500 with an appearance at states. The team is expected to improve on what they did last year because they are bringing back everyone of the players from last year’s team.

Last year’s star hitter, Claudio Suwu, said it was a lot of fun playing varsity as a freshman. Suwu expects this season to be better than last year because all of there players are returning and are more mature. He even stated that he expects them to win GMC’s and States. He values teamwork, reporting, “There really isn’t a best player, the sport of volleyball is a team sport and everyone on the court has to be the best for us to win.” Last year, Suwu racked up 70 service points, 123 kills, 172 digs and 194 assists.

Schedule

The first game of the season is March 10 at Old Bridge High School. The game is going to start at 10:00am. The first game is an big one for the team, because it is very important to start the season off on a positive note. Losing the first game can be deadly to a season, because it can create a negative attitude. They finished the season with the same number of wins as they did losses. This is something that the team is looking to improve on.

Sophomore Michael Krepula, a returning member from last years team, described last season as very dynamic. “Volleyball isn’t as big as football or basketball, but as soon as word got around about the season starting we saw the stands start to fill up more and more which motivated us to play as good as we did.” Krepula ended last year’s season with 35 service aces, 106 service points, 84 kills and 137 digs. The Patriots will need Krepula to play similarly to last year or better.

Expectations

The Patriot’s Dig King of 2017 was Kyle Kirejevas with 415 digs. So far in Kirejevas’ career he has accumulated 734 digs. Teams playing the Patriots will have to keep a close watch on Kirejevas as he makes his last year as a Patriots a memorable one.

Senior Matt Zwiebel has amassed 142 kills  and 49 blocks in his career and is looking to increase those numbers.

Five foot- ten inch Junior Luke Valeriano piled up last year 271 assists, 125 service points, 112 kills, 16 blocks, 26 service aces and 141 digs.

Friendship

Just like Suwu and Krepula, a freshman playing varsity and had a very big impact on the team. Without having any seniors on the team both of them had to contribute a lot to the team. Michael stated that not having any seniors helped the team out a lot. He said that helped them bond and become not only teammates but friends. Knowing that you and all your teammates will be back next year is a big motivator. You know that your all going to have a second chance and winning.

Suwu and Krepula are very close friends; they have been playing volleyball together since middle school . Playing with his best friend is something that Suwu said he is very excited about this season.

most excited about is showing off all the hard work he put in during the off season. Krepula said that he has been playing club volleyball to improve. Playing club volleyball gave him the chance to travel to California, Texas, and Florida for tournaments.

The volleyball team has high expectations for this season. Since every player is returning, they should have a very athletic and skillful roster which should help them win games.