• SAT's at CHS on November 3rd

• Spanish Honor Society Induction on Oct. 30th from 6:30pm - 7:30pm

• Powder Puff game vs Woodbridge on Oct. 29th from 6:30pm -9pm

Track and field comes up short against Woodbridge and Sayerville

Photo Credit: Photo Via The Declaration Staff
After her first attempt, Amaya Martinez jumps 15 feet.

By: Robyn Epstein, Spring Reporter

On May 8, Colonia High School Track and Field had their last  home meet against Woodbridge and Sayerville. Although showing impressive skills they were unable to come up with a win.

The first event of the day was the long jump. Cassidy Williams had two impressive jumps with lengths of 14 feet and a half inches and 13 feet and 11 1/2 inches. While teammate Amaya Martinez jumped 15 feet and fouled her other attempts. For boys, Dylan Hendricks had a good day jumping 21 feet and 3 inches and 19 feet and 6 in a half inches .

Next event was the 400 Hurdles ran by Skylar Galvez with a time of 1 minute and 17 seconds. “I could have done better,” Galvez stated, “I need to practice harder for a better outcome for GMC’s.” Next Brandon Wiese a Sophomore at Colonia High School ran a time of 72.3 seconds. “I did alright for myself today,” Wiese said, “Now I know I need to work on my speed and stamina for next time.”

The 100 meter dash event came next. Mary Ileaboye and Mafalda Mendes came first in their heat with times of 12.6 for Ilelaboye and 13.6 for Mendes. On the boys end Nelson Wyatt showed impressive skill with a time of 10.6 seconds. Edem Acolatse also had a good run with a time of 11.7 seconds. Nick Krowicki, Gabriel Weinbrenner, and James Walin all also ran this event and did a great job.

In the 200 meter event, viewers saw impressive times from the boys. Acolatse had the best time out of all the Colonia boys with 23.7 seconds. Hakim Hines also did very well with a time of 24.7 seconds. Samir Muhammad, Noah Pahopin, and Tolu Popoola all travel close behind.

Distance

During the 800 meter Steven Fonti had a great run with a time of 2 minutes 21 seconds. Following right behind him was Jon Banegas running for 2 minutes 51 seconds. Colonia High School freshman Ashley Viegas had an impressive run with a time of 2 minutes 50 seconds.

For the 1600 meter event Brian Tanculski had the best time for the Colonia boy with a time of 5 minutes and 5 seconds. Lucas Darocha was 1 second away from hitting his personal best, 5 minutes and 26 seconds. “I’m disappointed that I didn’t hit my personal best,” Lucas states, “It is a tough pill to swallow, however it just makes me more determined to do so.” Courtney Negra had a great run with a time of 6 minutes 15 seconds.

Matthew Sternesky participated in the following events: pull vault, javelin, and shot put. He came in first for javelin with a throw of 146 feet and 8 inches.. Timothy Carroll participated in the high jump and did very impressive jumping 6 feet 5 inches.

“Although the outcome wasn’t what we wanted I am proud of my team,” Coach Quick stated after the events were over, “I will continue to bleed blue and gold and will completely stand behind my athletes.”

Robyn Epstein, Editor

Robyn Epstein is a junior at Colonia High School. She has one older brother who is twenty and his name is Craig. They both enjoy going to the movies together and playing sports such as baseball and football. Epstein has one dog name Bosco who is an American bulldog mix. They enjoy going for walks together and playing in the backyard.  In her free time, she likes to hang out with her friends, listen to music, watch T.V. and her favorite is to sleep. At Colonia High School, Epstein is on the bowling team and in color guard for marching band. Her favorite school subject is history because she loves learning about the presidents and what they did. When Epstein graduates High School her plans are to go to college, graduate and either become a special education teacher or a therapist. She also would like to travel the world and visit her dream location of Paris, France. Epstein super excited about this year and can’t wait to see what the future holds.