Colonia Patriots’ baseball season set to go into full swing March 18

Pictured is the Colonia baseball team following a 10-0 win against Carteret. It was the last regular season game of the year.
Photo Credit: Photo via ColoniaBaseball on Twitter with Permission

Following an 8-13 season in 2021, the Colonia Patriots baseball team looks to improve to at least a .500 winning percentage in 2022. Missing graduated seniors Harrison Brindley, James Hopke, and Chris Waldron, younger players and the class of ‘22 are going to be heavily relied on to step up to the plate this season. 

Colonia Patriots Baseball in 2021

Last year the aforementioned seniors were some of the most productive at-bats. With Brindley hitting .289, Hopke hitting .308, and Waldron hitting .292, the Patriots are sure to miss them offensively. However, now-senior Frankie Milone found the most success hitting .353 in 51 at-bats-the second-most at-bats on the team. He also led the team in hits, compiling 18, while knocking in six runs. Milone, committed to Elmira College, amassed five doubles- second-most behind Hopke’s six. It’ll be no surprise to see him batting third or fourth in the lineup this year. 

Defensively, the Patriots suffered from giving up walks. The pitching staff gave up 66 walks in 114 innings. This gives the staff a 5.21 BB/9, walks per 9 innings, which is objectively considered less than stellar. Now-senior Joseph Kroner led the staff with 63 strikeouts and a calculated 2.98 earned run average. Kroner compiled nearly half of the staff’s 128 strikeouts. He also led the team offensively in home runs with two on the season. He is committed to playing Division I baseball at Rutgers University-New Brunswick, so it should be interesting to see what he does on the mound this year. 

2022 expectations

Also projected to put up satisfactory numbers is senior pitcher Tyler Mendez. In 2021 Mendez had a 3.48 era with 16 strikeouts. Though not yet committed, he should undoubtedly play collegiately in the future. 

A potential lineup for the Patriots includes Milone behind the plate with Mendez, Kroner, or sophomore Benjie Pabon on the hill. Pabon expects ¨for our team to win the division because of our pitching depth going into this season.¨ The Patriots are looking to fill middle-infield and outfield positions after losing Waldron, Brindley,  Victor Perosi, and other seniors. The junior and sophomore classes are going to be heavily relied upon this season. Coach Michael Scialfo and the Patriots baseball program look to dominate this season. 

Key returnees

Seniors: Joseph Kroner (P/1B), Tyler Mendez (P), Frankie Milone (C/3B), Ivan Quiles (OF), Kyle Tkaczyszyn (P/1B); Junior: Dylan Conklin (P); Sophomores: Casey Chiola (UTL), Benjie Pabon (P/3B)

Upcoming games

• 3/18 vs. Plainfield HS
  • 3/21 vs. St. Thomas Aquinas HS
  • 3/23 vs. Edison HS
  • 3/24 vs. Princeton HS
  • 3/28 vs. Union HS
  • 4/01 at Spotswood HS
  • 4/02 vs. Spotswood HS

View the rest of the schedule here.