Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is a redeeming installment

Photo Credit: Jack Reilly
Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is a redeeming installment

The Call of Duty (COD) franchise is one of the most known game franchises in the world. To put it in perspective, it is the third most known franchise behind Mario and Pokemon. The companies that create COD games have made a profit of ten billion dollars in revenue since their first year. All of this money is coming from consumers buying the games themselves and additional downloadable content. It seems that this franchise is unstoppable, but that would not be the case in recent years.

The History of Call of Duty

Every year, the companies Activision and/or Treyarch release a brand new Call of Duty installment. The first of these games was Call of Duty, and Activision released it in October of 2003. This game would set the tone for future COD installments; a quick paced shooter that would involve tactics and strategy as well as customization in the weapons you used. There has been a ton of developers that have tried to simulate this type of game, but COD always remains on top. However, in recent years, Call of Duty has not been meeting their standards. Call of Duty: WW2 released in November of 2017, and it was the worst selling COD game, selling only 12 million copies. That may sound like a lot, but compare that to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which sold almost 40 million.

After looking at the statistics and fan reviews, one thing became clear. Most hate the futuristic call of duties like Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. But then you may ask why did a World War II based Call of Duty perform so poorly? The answer is simple: Call of Duty needed to find the right blend of futuristic and simple game play. And that is exactly what they did in 2018’s Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.

The Success of Black Ops 4

The game has broken records for the franchise, making 500 million dollars at launch, which will only go up. Activision has not released the number of copies the game has sold so far. However, it is estimated that over the next 11 months, the game will break the 40 million copies sold record.

Activision, the company that makes the COD Black Ops Games, is celebrating the immediate success of Black Ops 4. Fans around the world love the game. It is a breath of fresh air for Call of Duty, redeeming itself from the previous installments. The game uses simple movements and controls that allow you to play quickly, but strategically at the same time. It is a perfect mix of a boots-on-ground style and a fast and futuristic game, and everyone is loving it.

Zombies Game mode in Black Ops 4

The game has not only made major improvements to its Multiplayer platform, it added a new storyline to the Zombies game mode. COD Zombies has been around since Call of Duty: World at War from 2008, and it is not going anywhere. COD Zombies is very fun and players around the world love it and look forward to how it will change in future installments. BO4 definitely lived up to the expectations of fans. Activision added a new story-line with new maps and characters, featuring a Roman Colosseum themed arena where players must fight off waves of zombies, tigers, and gladiators alike. Black Ops 4 zombies has been very successful, but let’s get into the most likely reason that the game has been so popular already: the newly added Call of Duty Blackout Mode.

Blackout Game mode in Black Ops 4

Blackout is the third game-mode in Black Ops 4, and it is definitely an amazing addition. It is a battle royale game mode, which has become very popular in the past year. In it you must survive, fight, and compete with 100 other players to be the last man standing. COD has never done anything like this before, but it is easy to see why they did this year. With recent battle royale games like Fortnite and Players Unknown Battlegrounds making billions of dollars in revenue and smashing records, Call of Duty decided to get in on the action. Blackout is welcoming to fans of battle royale games and newcomers alike, which makes it very popular. It is very fun to play, adding to the reasons gamers are picking up a copy of Black Ops 4.

In conclusion, Call of Duty redeemed itself with Black Ops 4. The game has the well-known fast paced Call of Duty game play, but still keeps it simple and not too crazy at the same time. I personally think that this is one of if not the best Call of Duty installment; And millions of others around the world agree. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 made new additions to Multiplayer and Zombies, as well as adding Blackout. With all these improvements, COD rises back to the top of the gaming industry with Call of Duty Black Ops 4.