Netflix’s new movie is a modern day Christmas classic

Photo Credit: Photo via Netflix under the Creative Commons License

Netflix recently released a new movie, “The Christmas Chronicles,” and it has been putting many in the Christmas spirit!

Throughout the past few years, Netflix has started to make original movies, and they have been hits. This year, they released a few original Christmas movies, but this one seems to stand out. Holiday movies are family-favorites throughout the world, and this is making its way to the top of the list. It’s understood why so many people are talking about it, this movie really does have a good feel to it.

Summary

In the movie, siblings Kate and Teddy Pierce are suffering with the loss of their dad this Christmas. While struggling with the loss, Teddy starts to act out. From painting graffiti in public places and getting in trouble in school, his mom is getting fed up. So, when she gets called into work on Christmas Eve, she leaves Teddy in charge of Katy.

As Katy is bored and goes through old home videos, she notices something suspicious about one of the movies; a spotted Santa Claus. Understandably as a little girl, Katie freaks out and decides to catch Santa in the act that night. Teddy, being the stubborn teenager he is, just ignores his sister thinking that nothing will happen because in his mind Santa’s not real. However, when they hear footsteps in their living room at around 11 pm, his mind might change.

Katy decides that she wants to catch him, no matter what it takes. She decides to hop in the back of his sleigh to take the Christmas run with him. Having no other choice, Teddy hops in after her without Santa even noticing. When Santa discovers his two unexpected passengers, he gets shocked and crashes his sleigh. After he tells the siblings that they’re going to forever be on the naughty list, they decide they have to save Christmas. Having to face the hardships of saving Christmas together, you can be sure Katy and Teddy get at least, a little, closer.

Review

Netflix really stepped up their game for this years Christmas movie. Not only it being one of the better movies it has come out with in a while, it’s also one of the best Christmas movies that’s came out. Breaking 20 million streams in one week, you could definitely say this become a family-friendly hit. If this movie had been in theaters, it probably would top ticket sales, being that everyone loves a good Christmas movie. There were a lot of laughs, some heartwarming moments that definitely makes a good Christmas movie.

In this movie, there were some parts that falls under the “cheesy” category. Being a typical Christmas movie, I was expecting the regular amount of corniness and cringe-worthy moments. Some moments were very predictable as well. Not saying that you can tell everything that happened before you press play, but most parts you can. On another topic, the acting in this movie was okay too. I didn’t expect much from this movie, but the acting did exceed my expectations. The children’s acting is a little questionable, but that’s understandable. Kurt Russell, however, played a great Santa and showed the true Christmas spirit.