Colonia’s Black Student Union honors Black History Month

Photo Credit: Mrs. Danielle Allen
Setting up for Day of Dialogue, the panel helps check students into the event.

Every year since 1926, February is National Black History Month. February celebrates the achievements of African Americans and is a time to recognize their role in history. 

Black History Month in 2022

Every year the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASAALH) chooses a theme for Black History Month. This year’s theme was Black Health and Wellness. This focused on why it is important to be healthy and well. This theme also acknowledged the legacy of black scholars. There were also conversations about how healthcare often underserved the African American community. 

What is the BSU?

The Black Student Union (BSU) is a club at Colonia High school. The BSU has one goal: to promote diversity and change in Colonia High School. It is to create a space where kids can feel safe to voice their opinions. Their voice can help inspire change throughout the community. The BSU accepts people of all different races and ethnicities to bring about unity for all students. 

Before Black History Month, the BSU did a lot of planning for it. The BSU made infographics that highlighted influential black figures. These figures included Stacey Abrams, Viola Davis, Kobe Bryant, and more. The Black Student Union also highlighted key events that happened in Black history. They specifically talked about The Fugitive Slave Act of 1793, the Tulsa Race massacre, the murder of Emmett Till, and even the death of George Floyd. 

Impacting its members

Sydni Scott, a sophomore from the Black Student Union said planning for Black History Month was ¨exciting but also hectic at the same time.¨ Scott said the BSU dedicated so much time making what they did for Black History Month possible. The BSU planned everything at least two months before Black History Month. Scott adds the most influential African American figure to her was John Lewis. According to Scott, John Lewis is inspirational and his ability and tenacity are beyond inspiring. 

Scott is hoping that people did learn from the infographics the BSU worked hard to put together throughout February. Scott believes that it is very important for people to educate themselves on African American history. Unfortunately, African American history is not something that is talked about at school all of the time according to Scott. Scott says that she hopes the kids learning about these topics are making an effort to seek more knowledge about African American history. 

Brandon Davis is a freshman at Colonia High school who is in the Black Student Union club. Davis’s favorite part of Black History Month was the infographics and the celebration of different African American figures in history. According to Davis the figure that resonates with him most was Malcolm X. Davis states that it is him because he stood up for the freedom of black people and also stood for empowerment. Davis believes that the BSU did a great job at recognizing African Americans’ achievements.