Philadelphia sports catching fire in fall

Pictured+are+the+home+fields+of+the+Philadelphia+Union%2C+Phillies%2C+and+Eagles.+They+all+play+games+this+upcoming+week.+
Photo Credit: Photo via Dylan DaCunha
Pictured are the home fields of the Philadelphia Union, Phillies, and Eagles. They all play games this upcoming week.

During the month of October, sports in Philadelphia have found wild success. Not one, not two, but three of the city’s sports teams are catching fire just as the weather is beginning to turn cold.

Phillies

The Philadelphia Phillies are arguably the city’s hottest sports team right now.

The baseball club only reached 87 wins with 75 losses during the regular season. They managed to clinch the last Wildcard spot when the postseason began. Since the first round of the postseason, the Phillies just can’t stop winning. With only two losses in three rounds of postseason baseball, the Phillies headed to the World Series after beating the San Diego Padres 4-3. Rob Thomson, the team’s manager, replaced Joe Girardi deep into the regular season and led the seemingly mediocre team to the World Series, leaving New York baseball fans bitter. 

Bryce Harper is the superstar that helped the team rise to the top. He won the National League Championship Series MVP award following the win against the Padres. Down 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth inning, Harper crushes a 2-2 sinker into left-center field to put the Fightins ahead 4-3. Harper is hitting .382 with 21 hits and six home runs this postseason. He doesn’t plan on slowing down anytime soon; only needing two more wins against the Houston Astros for the Phillies to be World Series Champions for the first time since 2008. Tonight’s game takes place in Philadelphia, giving the team a home-field advantage. The Phillies are 6-0 when playing at home this postseason. Will the Cinderella Story continue for the Phillies? 

Eagles

Philadelphia’s football team, the Eagles, is also coming in hot. They blew out the Pittsburgh Steelers this past Sunday 35-13. The Birds are undefeated so far, with a record of 7-0. This is the first time the football team has been undefeated in six games since 2004. They are the only team in the NFL to be undefeated six weeks into the season. After trading Carson Wentz and starting Jalen Hurts consistently, the young quarterback has quickly proved his worth in Philadelphia. Hurts is improving as a passer and a severe threat as a runner. When it matters most, Hurts can make the most important plays. 

AJ Brown led the team as wide receiver, achieving a career-high 156 receiving yards on six receptions with three touchdowns. Quarterback Jalen Hurts also set a career record with four touchdown passes. Will Hurts, Brown, and head coach Nick Sirianni continue to make the Birds a top contender as February gets closer? 

Philadelphia Union

Philadelphia also has a soccer club a part of Major League Soccer (MLS). Union has been dynamite this season, advancing all the way to the championship.

Union is the top seed in the Eastern Conference, playing the top seed in their opposing conference, Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC).  To get here, Union defeated the New York City Football Club in the Eastern Conference final. They had previously lost to this team in the past, so this was a satisfying victory. They came from behind to win 3-1, scoring three times in eleven second-half minutes. While scorers Julian Carranza, Daniel Gazdag, and Cory Burke are big for this team, Andre Blake’s save from Alex Callen’s header helped the team surpass NYCFC.

Union plays the LAFC this upcoming Saturday in California.

Will Philly bring home the hardware in all of their sports this year?