New club, Program X appeals to future computer programers

Computer programming, like many other technical professions, will be quite useful in the real world, both in preparation for college courses on coding and in finding a fun and fulfilling career. Most every job requires computer programming and code, from marketing in agriculture to the gameplay and graphics in CGI films and videogames. Computer programming – and its usage – have progressed at an astounding rate since their first widespread use in the 1980’s, and they can only keep progressing forward from here.

To aid in this endeavor, Colonia High School has opened up its own Computer Science Club.

Program X is a computer programming club run by Mathematics teacher Mr. Thomas Pasko after school on Wednesdays in room 204, and designed to help students learn how to utilize computer code to create their own websites, games, and applications. It was formed this year on September 18 as a result of many excited Computer Science students from the years 2012-2013 interested in continuing their programming careers.

Students whom have already taken – or are taking – Computer Science as a class will be able to further their understanding, and work with a group to create a final program everyone can enjoy. Those who are interested in learning how to program will be given sites to learn from, such as Codecademy, MIT AppInventor, or Ideone. There, they can learn computer languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, and Android, through which members can write programs and run tests on their codes. Eventually, members will be able to program large-scale projects, such as videogames, website programming, and Android and iPhone applications.

Currently, the Computer Science Club is focusing on educating its members on the world of programming language. Afterwards, members plan on building a club website as their first great project. On a majority vote, it has also been decided that the programming itself will be done individually and at home, while designs and ideas and methods will be pitched during club meetings. Through this set-up, the Club hopes to be able to manage time more efficiently, and thus accomplish more of their goals.

Later, the Club would like to participate in events of ilk to the NJIT Programming Competitions, and fundraise through gaming competitions to be held in the cafeteria. These ideas are most likely based on the Poetry Club’s Poetry Slam Competitions and the “Let’s Play!” Animè Club fundraiser, and so may very well be successful. Further plans include buying more advanced software, such as Apple (Steve Jobs’ Code), C++ (the X-Box Code), or even GML (Game Maker Language), in order to further their knowledge and efforts. Many members hope to accomplish the end result of creating a completed PC game by the end of this school year.

Any student who wishes to join may contact Seniors Avijeet Sachdev and Jake Ulasevich, joint presidents of the Computer Science Club, or add them on Facebook. Communication will be run through a Facebook group sometime later this year. The option is open to any and all students, so long as they’re willing to work hard and put in the effort to learn and code and create. The club will run from 2:40-3:45 PM, so be sure to have a ride ready beforehand.