A Visual Journey: Ed Sheeran thinking out loud

Photo Credit: Melanie Paiva
With illustrations by a life long friend Phillip Butah, Ed Sheeran’s autobiography “A Visual Journey” hits book stores worldwide.

Ed Sheeran’s A Visual Journey follows the growing pop-star in his journey to fame.  While many people only know Sheeran by his voice and his wild red hair, this autobiography, written with the help of his friend Phillip Butah, takes his fans through his life, and everything he has had to overcome to get to where he is.  While his career seems to only be beginning, this book shows that it has taken Sheeran time and dedication to get to where he is, and he will continue to grow as a singer and a person as his journey through music continues.

This book is very well written, with a friendly tone – not too sophisticated, but more laidback to appeal to a wide audience.  To add even more dimension to this informative autobiography, nearly every page is paired with a picture, hence the name A Visual Journey.  This book not only informs readers about Sheeran’s life, but lets them experience it vicariously through the pictures accompanying the autobiographical material.

Sheeran’s approach throughout the autobiography can be described as people-friendly.  Sheeran does not write as though he is a prestigious singer, but more so as a down-to-earth, everyday person.  It is evident, through reading this book, that Sheeran did not let the fame of pop stardom boost his ego too much; rather, it enhanced his life and his outlook.  He is overwhelmingly grateful for the privileges he has had as a singer, and hopes to continue pleasing both himself and his fans by pursuing his passion – singing.

While Sheeran’s autobiography is generally well crafted, perhaps better strategies could have been employed in its marketing, for the book remains somewhat obscure.  Many of his fans have not heard of his book because it has yet to be commercialized. In terms of the book’s content itself, readers may be eager to learn more about how Sheeran approaches his personal life, as he tends to focus on aspects of his musical career.  While many readers may commend Sheeran for keeping his private life private, other readers may wish to know more about the man behind the music, rather than the music behind the man.

Despite these miniscule issues, Sheeran’s A Visual Journey is a good read for individuals of all reading levels.  For fans of Ed Sheeran’s music, buying this book would without a doubt be in their best interests, and a decision they would not regret.  The autobiography can be found at a local Barnes and Noble or purchased online at www.barnesandnoble.com. Enjoy the read!