2014: a tech year

A look back on all of the tech gadgets that made an impact in 2014.
2014 brought with it a lot of new tech gadgets and improvements to existing technology.
Photo Credit: Photo via photozou,flickr,wikipedia under creative commons license.

It was another fantastic year in technology for 2014.  Nothing groundbreaking came out this year but it was a good year nonetheless.

New to the phone world in 2014 were the iPhone 6 Plus and the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff

Cell phones this year were arguably the best any year has ever seen.  Apple released two new phones this year, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus which sold over 10 million in the first weekend, breaking all previous sales records. The iPhone 6 plus, being Apple’s first Phablet (Phone + Tablet) and they did a great job at their first crack at this market. Besides the initial bending problems many apple fans loved everything about Apple’s first big phone.  For you Android lovers Samsung released their own phablet, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which was praised as being the best large phone this year. Not only did the Note 4 have the best specs and display of any phone this year, it also came with a stylus pen! Also HTC this year released The HTC One M8 which featured dual stereo speakers which delivered some of the best sound on any smart phone.

New gaming console out in 2014 was the Xbox One.
Photo Credit: Photo via wikimedia.com under creative commons license.

Another successful market this year was video gaming. This was the first full year that the Xbox One and PS4 saw and both consoles had their fair share of accomplishments and mistakes. The Xbox One released hit games like Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon. Although they did hit a stumble with Halo: The Master Chief Collection, when so many online issues were discovered in the game. However, the Xbox One finally started to make its stride after it sold more consoles than the PS4 this year on Black Friday. The PS4 also had a great year releasing infamous Second son, Little Big 3 and Drive Club.  The spec heavy console outsold the Xbox One for most of the year and definitely had itself a good year.

However a big surprise this year was Nintendo’s success. Nintendo fighting games, Super Smash Bros for the Wii and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS combined for over two million sales worldwide and are definitely a reason to buy both consoles. Also Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire sold over 4 million copies on the 3DS on their debut weekend.  I definitely recommend the 3DS to get into handheld gaming.

One of the biggest Markets this year however was Tablets. Tablets did so well that many investors expect tablets to pass laptops in sales in 2015. One of the best tablets on the market right now is the iPad Air 2. The iPad Air 2 trumped the iPad Air in every way, it’s faster, better looking and more feature packed than ever. However if you’re looking for a non-apple tablet you should definitely try the Samsung Galaxy Tab S. For a while now Samsung has been trying to beat Apple in the tablet game and with the Tab S they came really close. What makes the Tab S so desirable is that it runs Android OS which offers a lot more compared to Apple’s OS.

It was most certainly a great year in tech. Markets are definitely shifting to more portable devices like Tablets, Phones and handheld gaming devices. If you’re planning to buy new tech just remember to choose the best Tech of 2014.

View Comments (1)