Year in Review Colonia Sports

Photo Credit: Alex Gall
2014’s most memorable sports moments.

2014 was a breakout year in Colonia sports across the board. Every sport saw a huge improvement from last year from Football to Volleyball and in between.

Spring Sports

Let’s start with Varsity Boys’ Baseball, who ended their 2013-2014 season with a positive record with 12 wins and 9 losses. April was a slow start for the team, leaving the month with six wins, and seven losses, however, in May Varsity Baseball went on an 8 game win streak continuing from late April. The Patriot Baseball team couldn’t find a win in postseason, which ended their season. With a loss of 7 seniors, this season should see some new faces on the field, led by Coach Esposito.

Softball ended last season with a record of 15-10. With only 6 players being seniors, we can expect a well balanced team this upcoming season. Unfortunately, last season’s team did not make it into a playoff bracket, but we can expect that to change this upcoming year to come.

Golf saw an outstanding season last year, ending with a record of 15 wins and only two losses. They also only lost 2 players, Ryan Trudel and Robert Coffman, so we should expect that this season coming up will be another high win and low loss season for the Boys Golf Team.

Boys’ Tennis had a rebuilding season, ending last season with a record of 9 wins and 16 losses.  They lost two seniors last season, so this season should be better than last season.

Boys’ Volleyball had a rebuilding season, winning 5 games and losing 12. This season Coach Biri will be expecting a lot more from his team, and since it’s a young team with mostly sophomores and juniors, he has a lot of room for improvements.

Fall Sports

Varsity Football ended last season with a record of 6-4, determined to come back next season better. This season, Colonia went all the way to State Finals without losing a single game. The boy’s football team could not beat Philipsburg, but came very close only losing in overtime, and ended their unbelievable season 11-1. Let’s see how Coach Roarty can top that breakthrough season.

Boys’ Soccer ended the season with 14 wins, 6 losses, and 3 ties; while the Girls’ team ended with 6 wins, 15 losses, and 1 tie. Both teams got a lot to take from that season that they can use next year, and with a low amount of seniors leaving, both teams can have chemistry on the field.

Boys’ Cross Country ended this season with 4 wins, and 6 losses and the Girls’ Cross Country team ended with 1 win, 5 losses, and 1 tie.

Girls’ Volleyball ended the season with 22 wins, 12 losses, and achievements on the court. We can expect the same success next season with the roster of mostly juniors and sophomores.

Winter Sports

As of right now, all winter sport teams are in full swing and are trying to reach new lengths for the 2014-2015 season. So far, Wrestling has 2 wins and 2 losses. Boys’ Basketball won their first game of the season against Woodbridge High School, and play Sayreville next on December 23rd. Girls Basketball also won their first game of the season against North Brunswick, and also play Sayreville on December 23rd.  Boys’ Bowling has starts their season with 6 wins and 3 losses, and the Girls’ Team has 1 win and 6 losses and 1 tie. The Boys’ Swimming Team so far has one win and two losses, and have a long break till their next meet.  Girls’ Wwimming have had only 1 meet, a loss against Somerville. Ice Hockey has had a rebuilding season so far, winless on the season so far.

This Season has been a high standard for all sports, and with the amount of success this year has seen, it will be hard to top in the upcoming years.