Colonia Boys’ Soccer Finish 9-9-2

Colonia’s Soccer season ended with a loss to Orange High School, 2-1. Despite this loss, Colonia had a great season, with a few breath-taking wins along the way. After a summer filled with long, hard training sessions conducted by Coach Kizoulis and his coaching staff, the Pats were ready for lift off when their season opener came against New Brunswick. In a nail-biting game, Colonia grinded out the win, 2-1. The Patriots would go on to be 3-1-1 through their first 5 games. The Pats would also go on to beat crosstown rivals Woodbridge, 2-0, in an action-paced rivalry match, with goals coming from Senior Jacob Szlachta and Sophomore Gabriel Forero.

Facing a tricky run of games, the 4-1-1 Patriots would need to keep up their intensity which they started the season with. In the first game against JP Stevens, Colonia lost on a controversial penalty kick with seven minutes left in the game. Even so, the Patriots went on to recover with a win against New Brunswick. Down 1-0, Coach Kizoulis encouraged his team to rally to win 3-1, in which Senior Austin Francy scored arguably the goal of the season. Deadlocked at one-all, Francy hit a volley, first time, from 25 yards out.

Colonia would go on to lose four straight matches, three away from home. It all started with Senior Night, at home to South Plainfield. In a night where five seniors and their families were honored, South Plainfield defeated Colonia 3-1. Colonia would play three straight road games, starting with a game against Perth Amboy, whom they beat 4-0 earlier in the season. Colonia went into the second half with a 1-0 lead over Amboy, but things would only go downward from there. With ten minutes left in the game and Colonia up 3-1, Amboy went on to score 2 goals in a dramatic fashion, to send the game into extra time. With Colonia on their heels and Amboy with all of the momentum, Amboy went on to win, due to a goal in the first overtime period. It took the Patriots two long games, 160 minutes, to get over the heartbreaking loss against Amboy. With a 4-0 downfall to Edison, suddenly that excellent start that the Pats got off to looked like it would go to waste. Another loss, this time 5-2 to Sayerville didn’t help, either. Colonia had to stop the bleeding, and quickly, or else this season would end all too quickly.

A game against one win Woodbridge presented an opportunity. The game was 1-1 heading into overtime, where it took both overtime periods, for Jacob Szlachta to score a goal to bring a much needed win back to CHS. Colonia went on to be the 15th seed in the GMC’s, where they cruised past Highland Park, and had to play 2nd seed South Plainfield, the same team that ruined Colonia’s Senior Night. In a game so intense that Atheletic Director Mr. LaSala got a red card, Colonia pulled off the upset of the tournament, winning 2-1. Colonia went on to the States, as the 14th seed against 3rd seed Orange High School. Colonia went on to Double OT, only to lose in horrible conditions, 2-1. It was the last game for 5 seniors in a Colonia uniform. It was a great season for the Patriots and Coach Kizoulis’ staff, and we as a school congratulate them on their season.