Colonia defeats Watchung adding more wins to their season.

Photo Credit: photo via: Manuela Martinez at CHS gym.
Colonia Boys Varsity attacking against a 3 man block (Watchung Hills)

Colonia High School Varsity boys’ volleyball plays against Watchung Hills Varsity Boys playing home (Colonia High School) Friday, May 1st. Watchung played 4 teams previous to CHS and has lost all games against St. Joseph (2-0), Bridgewater- Raritan (2-0), Summit (2-1), and Hillsborough (2-0).  Alexander Yang is Watchung’s leading scorer with an average of 4 points per set and 12 points per game, if a game goes to 3 sets. (Sets go to 25 points). Senior Nick Filzen is Colonia’s leading scorer in a rally or a set and overall in a game as well.  He averages 6 points per set and 18 points in a game that goes to sets.

Colonia leads an 11-1 lead. Nick F. gets an ace at 22-4 making it 23-4. There is a hitting error by Watchung at game point. Colonia now has had 1 missed opportunity to take the first set. Colonia takes it within 2 attempts with a hitting error on Watchung’s Alexander Yang. Set finishes off at 25-4. Colonia is now in set 2 having lead in the first set by a large margin and gets an early lead of 6-0 with Colonia behind the service line. Colonia attempts to save a dropping ball by kicking it, which is legal in volleyball as long as it’s not a carry, and cannot keep it in play (off the ground, legal). Watchung has now advanced along into the match 14-7, Colonia, and the service by watchung goes long making it 15-7. An ace by #10 of Watchung making it 17-8 (Colonia having advanced a couple of points). Kill by #6 of Watchung but Colonia still ends the set having a bit of trouble as Watchung put themselves back in the game making the end score 25-18, but Colonia still closed it off and won. The game only went to two sets, best out of 3.