South Plainfield falls to Colonia

Photo Credit: Andrew Pimentel
Colonia Girls Varsity Soccer taking a rest after their win.

On Wednesday October 21st at Colonia’s home field, South Plainfield’s Varsity Girls’ Soccer team fell short yet again proving for the second consecutive time that Colonia overall was the better team. With a final score of 2-1, the Patriots prevailed over the Tigers which moves them up to the next spot for their GMC White Division Playoffs. This win boosts Colonia’s record to 6-3-2 and bumps down South Plainfield’s to 1-5-0. The last time these two teams went head-to-head which was on October 15th.

When you add in the fact that playoffs started with this third game between the Patriots and the Tigers and that both teams had something to gain by coming out with a win, the audience, players, and coaches most certainly knew that this would be an intense game.

During the game, players from both teams contributed to their team. The goalkeeper for SPF, Brianna Slover had 15 saves in their first game against Colonia, 10 in their second and eight throughout both halves in their most recent loss which clearly wasn’t enough. Offensively this game, Claire Nagel was South Plainfield’s only contributor to the game with one goal in  the 2nd half with around 20 minutes left.

For Colonia, it was the contribution Stephanie Piccininni and Amanda Poulakowski had on Colonia’s offense that brought them the win. With the help of Piccininni’s assist for one of Poulakowski’s two goals they were able to snatch the lead bring the score to 2-1 in Colonia’s favor.

It’s especially difficult to forget Poulakowski’s phenomenal goal from across the net/near the boundary line that flew past not only her defenders but the goalkeeper as well. Not to forget the goalkeeper for the Patriots, Kelly Silva, with her collective six saves against South Plainfield that defensively helped her team to fend off a possible tie/loss.

It’s no surprise that once the sound rang signifying the end of the two minute warning, the game was over and the Patriots had won, it was only a matter of seconds until every member of the team broke out into a celebration. The Patriots broke out into their pile of a group hug filled with cheer.

Nevertheless, the Patriots played well and earned their right to enjoy their victory after demonstrating their skill, but they must contain it to an extent being that they must face their next opponent as they take their next step into the GMC playoffs on Oct. 23rd against Monroe High. This most certainly will be a battle as both teams are coming off wins and Monroe especially, with their record of 9-3-2.