Comedy Hypnosis Show kicks off Make a Wish Wednesdays

The Interact Club at Colonia High has started a program to fundraise for those students and staff in need to assistance.
Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff

On February 10th during block 4, Colonia High School’s own Interact Club will host a Comedy Hypnosis Show to kick off Make a Wish Wednesdays.

The Interact Club will raise money through various fundraisers and events throughout the year on the first Wednesday of every month to grant wishes to Colonia High School’s own students that face hardships. Any student that demonstrates a physical or economic hardship that prevents him or her from fully engaging in all that CHS has to offer is eligible and may be referred by any staff member or peer.

Stephen Christopher is the star of the Comedy Hypnosis Show who has generously agreed to do the show for free immediately after hearing about the purpose of the fund. He brought his show to CHS four years ago to help raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. Mr. Biri is among the faculty members that have been hypnotized in the past and, in support of Make-A-Wish Wednesdays, has agreed to participate once again. “I am someone who is a big believer in the little things. John Wooden said, ‘Little things make big things happen.’ I am excited for this experience and the opportunity to serve others.”

Mr. Grose (English Teacher), Mr. Hutchinson (English Teacher), Mrs. McCauley (History Teacher), Mr. Williams (History Teacher), and Mr. Pearson (Math Teacher) will also join Mr. Biri (History Teacher) and be hypnotized themselves during the kick-off event next month. Other teachers will also personally benefit from the Make-A-Wish Wednesdays project by being able to wear jeans every first Wednesday of the month for a $5 donation that will be added to the fund.

The idea for Make-A-Wish Wednesdays first came about when Mrs. Brennan, the advisor of Interact Club, was first introduced to a specific physical hardship that prevents one of our own students from joining Colonia High School’s tennis team. “I wanted to help him and realized it would be nice to have a fund to support kids that have a wish or need, especially if they’re our own.”

For years, Interact Club has been able to help the people of our community. Over 5,000 pounds of food have been collected for the St. James Food Pantry, as well as, M.C.F.O.O.D.S, an amount greater than any school in Middlesex County has managed to collect. Additionally, when CHS’ own Dr. Spiller had been ill, Interact Club members offered their help by raking leaves and shoveling snow for her family, as well as, tutoring her children throughout the year. When asked which event has been her favorite, Mrs. Brennan had a hard time choosing. “The Walk for Uganda was definitely my favorite because we actually had a chance to connect with the children we helped through Skype and to see the difference we could make on the other side of the world was incredible.” Mrs. Brennan has big hopes for the future of Make-A-Wish Wednesdays and is hopeful of its success. “The more money we raise, the more wishes we can grant.”

Tickets are currently on sale for $5 on a first come basis.