Murray saves the day

TV promotion poster for How Murray Saved Christmas
Photo Credit: NBC

On December 5th, 2014, NBC premiered its new holiday special How Murray Saved Christmas, a movie featuring the voices of such famous stars as Sean Hayes and Jerry Stiller. The television special was adapted from the children’s book written by Mike Reiss.

In the village of Stinky Cigar live the mascots of all the American holidays that occur throughout the year, with names ranging from Labor Day Amos to Easter Bunny to Thanksgiving Turkey. The plotline centers on a grumpy old deli owner named Murray chosen to deliver presents on Christmas Eve in place of Santa, who became injured after filling his sleigh with toys.

Initially, Murray seems utterly inept in assuming Santa’s role, committing such errors as putting bagels and cheese in stockings, but he quickly learns the ropes. In fact, he revolutionizes Christmas by bringing toys to children on the notorious “Naughty List” and, surprisingly, to children who do not celebrate Christmas: “it was that one year when the world got a present.” Santa likely would not have come up with such an idea.

The 42 minute musical-animation is very enjoyable and fun for the whole family. It includes humorous jokes and catchy Christmassy tunes and could potentially become the next Christmas classic.

Kevin Michael Richardson, known for his voiceover roles in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Kim Possible, and Lilo & Stitch, was certainly an appropriate choice for Santa Claus, given his ability to project the deep, authoritative voice characteristic of St. Nicholas.

Additionally, Jerry Stiller (known for his acting in King of Queens and status as the father of successful actor Ben Stiller), known for his curmudgeonly voice, played Murray particularly well.

The simple animation details, such as Santa’s rosy nose and Eddie the Elf’s freckles, culminated in a movie that could be described as typically “cute” overall. If you would like to watch How Murray Saved Christmas, it is now available on DVD. Alternatively, you can visit the NBC website to view the full movie for free.