Black Friday: to shop or not?

Photo Credit: Alex Payne
Colonia High School Survey

The thousands of shoppers, the crowded lines, the rush of sales, what do you think of Black Friday? Is it a day to go out and score some awesome deals for gifts, or just a nuisance all together? I believe that Black Friday is most definitely a great day to go out and enjoy.

Though stores may be heavily crowded, the deals on the merchandise are unreal. I could go out on Black Friday and get my friends three times more gifts then I could on a normal day. For example, while shopping last year on Black Friday I purchased a shirt that was originally fifty two dollars for a low score of twenty dollars. Talk about a great deal! Furthermore, while I saved thirty two dollars, I was able to take that money and spend it on more stuff. The benefits of Black Friday are unreal.

Some people prefer to shop on Cyber Monday from their house because it is less chaotic, while others would prefer to shop during regular store hours during Decembe . Less pushing and less waiting in lines may mean more money coming out of your pockets.  Some people argue that stores will offer coupons during the holiday season that will save them money.  this is true, there is nothing comparable to a Black Friday deal.

Another great aspect of Black Friday is you can really make a great day out of it with your friends.  Whether you’re a teenager going out with your crew, or you’re going out for a “day with the girls” you can have a blast. Black Friday has always been a bonding experience I have shared with my mom every year and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Black Friday is not only a great holiday but a great bonding day as well.

If you are going shopping Ms. Danielle Simkovich, English teacher and frequent Black Friday shopper, has a few tips for you, “You need to go shopping with the right mindset. Understand that you will get pushed, possibly hit with a package or cart, and you will have to wait in line for a while (either outside or inside to pay). You probably won’t get a close parking spot and will have to stand for a while, so wear comfy shoes.”