Longer lunch periods equal to happier students

Photo Credit: photo via wikimedia under creative commons license.
With long lunch lines, students need longer lunch period to digest and socialize.

Kids come to school for two reasons and two reasons only. One is to hang out with their friends and the other is to get an education. However, education gets more time versus hanging out with your friends. The only real time you have to chill with your friends is lunch, which is only 30 minutes. And come on, think about it is that’s really not enough time to get your food, eat it and enjoy some time with your friends.

Personally, I think our school lunches should be longer. Our students work so hard throughout the day that they should be able to take some time out for themselves. We work so hard in order to get good grades and all we get is 30 mins to ourselves? Really? On top of that, half of that time is wasted waiting in line for food so most of the kids try to finish their food as fast as they can and don’t really eat properly.

The school lunch period should be extended to 45 mins which is half a block.

Kids sit in a class for 90 mins and the BBC reports that college students only have a 10 minute attention span, so high school students probably have an even shorter attention span. If you are going to lose student’s attention anyway, you might as well extend lunches.

Kids should be given the opportunity to have a 45 minute lunch period in which they can sit and peacefully enjoy their lunch while spending some time just having fun and talking to their friends and peers. This will help them not only eat more efficiently and more calmly, it also give them much more free time to enjoy and just relax before learning all they can. Consider it 15 minutes of brain food to produce more successful students.