Tanning beds or death beds?

Tanning beds have been the new fad amongst teen girls, especially before Junior Prom (Cotillion) and Prom. But ,are they really the best thing to do to get some color before the big day?

Tanning beds and salons have been around for a long time, and we only know them mainly for the show Jersey Shore, and the overly-tanned actors. Especially with prom and cotillion during May and beginning of June, there is not enough sun out to get a good tan. But, tanning beds aren’t always necessarily the best thing to turn to. Everybody claims it’s not a threat, and the tanning salon will persuade you into believing so. Actually, tanning beds are the opposite of good.

Everybody knows about the cancer risks that come along with the usage of tanning beds. Tanning beds have been associated with squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma, which are skin cancers, and ocular melanoma, which is an eye cancer. The UV rays that make your skin tan can also cause other eye problems such as cataracts and photoconjunctivitis. So, tanning beds aren’t the best thing to do, but if you do it, make sure you wear goggles. Along with an increased risk of skin and eye cancer, and eye issues, there comes premature skin aging. Tanning cause your skin to lose elasticity, which leads to wrinkling, causing premature skin aging. Also, if you have fair skin, you’re more susceptible to sunburn, which also isn’t good. Overall, there are enough cons that come with tanning beds to disprove of them completely. Tanning beds are definitely not good for you.

Although there are many cons to using a tanning bed, there is one pro; Vitamin D. There is a possibility that exposure in using tanning bed, it can increase your Vitamin D level.  People with dermatitis or psoriasis may also find relief with medically supervised treatment with UV rays, but not through using tanning beds at tanning salons. In general, Tanning beds have a higher risk of giving you health issues, rather than health benefits. Tanning beds are definitely not recommended by doctors, just the sales people who want to make money. If you want a quick tan before prom or cotillion, just get a spray tan and call it a day.