Juniors win 2017 spirit week

Photo Credit: Jada Davis
Choir shows off their school spirit

During the first school week of October, Colonia High School held its yearly Spirit Week competition. At the end of the week on October 6th, the junior class won.

Spirit Week is a week long competition at Colonia High School in which everyday has a designated theme that the students should dress by. Every student that participates counts as a point for your grade.

Monday’s theme, Pajama Day, showed students wearing many different varieties of outfits, from footie pajamas to night gowns. At the end of the day, the juniors had taken the lead. This was one of the first times in Colonia’s history that the seniors didn’t take the lead on the first day.

On this day, the students collected 321 boxes of tissues and the annual dime wars had started. The goal of the dime wars competition is to collect as many dimes in your grade’s bin as possible. Putting in any coin that’s not a dime or any dollar bill will make you lose points. The juniors and seniors have been dropping 5’s and even 20’s in each other’s bins to gain more points. In addition to, students donated water and toiletries for the victims of the hurricane in Puerto Rico. As a result, each item was worth one point.

On Tuesday, student’s raised awareness for Breast Cancer by participating in Pink Out Day. Students went all out wearing every shade of pink and even putting on pink face paint. A total of 1,242 students participated, which made this the spirit week day with the highest participation. Similarly, students brought in a dollar to stick a ribbon on their homeroom door. While the juniors were in the lead, the seniors were relentless as ever.

Wednesday’s theme was Tropical Day, a new addition to the annual Spirit Week. Therefore, students brought their creativity to the table from wearing leis to coconut bras and grass skirts. Students continued to donate on the last day to bring in items for Puerto Rico. In total, the grades managed to collect 5,198 items. Wednesday was also the school’s food drive. The food brought in by participants was to be donated to Mcfoods, and would also count for one point per item. For the third day, the juniors managed to beat the seniors. Consequently, the juniors thought they had the competition in the bag.

Thursday’s theme was Decade Day. Out of all the spirit week days, this one had the most variety of outfits. The students brought it back to every time period imaginable, from the roaring 20’s to the groovy 70’s.  Next was the school’s book drive. CHS requested for participants to bring in new or somewhat used books. Students went all out, from bringing backpacks to even suitcases full of books. In summary, 1,130 books were collected. The seniors had won first place, which put an end to the juniors three day winning streak.

When Kevin Boguszewksi, a junior at Colonia High School, was asked which was his favorite day of Spirit Week was, he said Decade’s Day. Kevin said that “I feel more comfortable wearing the older clothes that I own on Decade Day.”

Finally, Friday was the end of Spirit Week. The theme was Blue and Gold, which displays the school colors. Students took this day to show their spirit by wearing their Colonia shirts, blue and gold bandannas and their matching knee high socks. Some even went as far as painting their whole face the school colors! Equally important, students collected 220 ink cartridges.

It was also the day of the pep rally. The pep rally is an annual event at Colonia High School in which all grades compete against each other to gain points for their grade. Tyler Benson, a freshman at Colonia High School says that he expected lots of ‘excitement and enthusiasm’ in regards to the pep rally. In conclusion, the juniors won spirit week. For the first time in CHS’ history, the juniors had beat the seniors. Hutchinson, the adviser of spirit week, says on the record that that he ‘does not make any changes’ to the outcomes of spirit week. The juniors won fair and square.

Olivia Fasulo, a sophomore at Colonia High School also said that Decade Day was her favorite theme. She said, “I love to see everybody’s cool and retro outfits.”