Too many lights?

Decorations
Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons License
Seen is a house who goes all out for the holidays with their decorations and lights. Some might call this, doing too much.

It’s that time of year again, the much anticipated holiday season, and what better way to prepare for the holidays then decorate and put up lights? But some people need to ask themselves when is it too much?

With Thanksgiving just ending, and hectic Black Friday over, people all over are starting to prepare for Christmas.  95% of people celebrate and decorate their houses for Christmas a year.  Over millions of people a year put up lights, Christmas trees, and ornaments all over their yards and their houses.  It is one of the best parts of the holiday season; I have always enjoyed putting up the tree with my mother and helping my dad hang wreaths on the windows.

But when is too many Christmas decorations too much? Many people may argue that there is no limit on how many decorations you should put up. It’s the holiday season and people should be able to put up as many as they desire.  I partially agree, but I feel that there shouldn’t be so many decorations that you can’t even see the house anymore.  

Each year, on my Grandmother’s street, they have a competition to see who can have the most lit up house, especially with the most blow ups.  On average each year, consumers spend around $53 on Christmas decorations.  This may include, Christmas trees, wreaths, christmas lights of all colors, blow ups, and just indoor decorations.  But the people on my Grandmother’s street spend over hundreds of dollars on decorations.  One house on her street, has won for the last few years and has over 20 blow ups on their front lawn. They have different colored lights, lining the house, lawn and driveway. The amount of brightness coming from the house at night is unbearable. Sometimes it can get so bright, you can’t even see the house.  

This is not be a good thing for many reasons. In my opinion, what is the point of filling your lawn and crowding your house so much? To the point where others can’t even see your house or look at all the decorations because others are in the way? Not only this, but the amount of lights can use up tons of electricity and cause fires.  My grandmother has told me that sometimes the power for the whole street will go out if the lights blow a fuse.  This isn’t safe for the neighbors and not beneficial to them either.  At times, the owner of the house might even forget to turn the lights off before they fall asleep.  And in the middle of the night, neighbors may not be able to sleep due to the brightness.  

Even though people should be allowed to decorate their houses to their cheerful desires, there should be a limit.  There is no point in putting so many blow ups or lights that is a safety hazard for not only your house, but your neighbors as well.  So next time you decorate your house for the holiday season, try not to go overboard!