Spread The Word Blinkers Must Be Used

Photo Credit: Photo via Pixabay, Wikimedia Commons, and Pexels under Creative Commons License
When driving on the road there is a proper way to use blinkers. Now is the time to learn.

Blinkers are the most important part of the car yet they are constantly used incorrectly, or how about never at all? This was made to keep drivers safe yet people decide to pretend that it does not exist. Back in 1939 was when they started selling them to people purchasing cars, though some still used hand signals. Originally blinkers were considered trafficators. When the trafficator was on the mechanical arm would swing out horizontally from the door to alert drivers and then when off go back to its starting position.

Turn signals are to let drivers know where they are heading. If someone was in their blind spot of the car and they went into that person’s lane that could either cause them both to have an accident or maybe they pitstop on their breaks and the person behind them plows into them which causes a chain reaction of pile ups.

Many argue that they don’t need them because that car isn’t close to them, that person won’t care, or that they know where they are going. Just a heads up, yes that driver does care, whether that car is close or not it is common courtesy to use it and get in the habit of it considering they forgot it once they passed their drivers test, and sorry, but it looks like not everyone is a mind reader and when driving it isn’t their main concern to worry about someone else.

The solution is fairly simple. Get educated and use a blinker. Not for the driver themselves, but for everyone around them. Some people would like to live and not have any chance of ruining that. If there is no time for a class here is a simple explanation on how to use them. The lever is located on the left of the steering wheel in the United States. If going left push it down and if going right do the opposite and push it up. Once in the lane or turned if the light hasn’t gone off push it slightly up or down to position it back in the middle.

Be conscious when driving

On average 750 billion people a year forget to use their blinkers. 25% is when turning and 48% is when switching lanes. Then when they actually do use it they forget to turn it off 48% of the time. This is why accidents are caused.

In 2005 on why drivers don’t use their signals. 42% have admitted they don’t have time, 23% said they are too lazy to, 17% don’t use it because they forget to turn it back off, 12% change lanes so often that they don’t care to,11% don’t find it important, 8% don’t do it because of seeing other drivers not doing it, and 7% say not using it adds excitement.

By one person using their blinkers, other people will begin to use them as well. Over 2 million accidents are caused a year by improper use of turn signals or not using them at all. That will easily be reduced by this newfound awareness, spread the word. It is a very simple way to improve safety while driving.