Harvard discriminating against Asian American students is disgraceful

Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff

In 2018, Harvard, one of the most reclaimed ivy league universities has gone under fire for reportedly using a racial quota against Asian Americans. Reports state that Asian Americans attribute significantly lower rates for their personal qualities, including, “leadership and compassion, than applicants from other racial groups.” It is also said that Harvard expects higher test scores from those who are Asian American.

This controversy has made it’s way to court. An organization called the Students for Fair Admissions is suing the university. This group consists of Asian Americans which Harvard didn’t accept. They claimed that they had the right qualifications for this ivy league school. This trial is going to put multiple Harvard professors on the stand. 

All of these superiors deny the racial bias against Asian Americans. The Justice trial even itself determined that there was some racial bias. However, this is not the first time Harvard has reportedly discriminated against other races. For example, Harvard had a reputation for only allowing a certain amount of Jewish people in their school within the early 20th century. 

First of all, I personally believe that Harvard is being discriminatory against Asian Americans. I believe this because of the justice system determining this claim is true, as well as the fact that Harvard has been racist in the past. Racial discrimination is still prevalent in our society and is too often ignored.

No one should be less qualified for college due to their race. The idea of Harvard partaking in such a racist act to me is truly disgusting. America is a free country that should be accepting of all races. And everyone should have the equal opportunity to go to the college of their choice in spite of their race.

If these group of students win their trial, this could make an impact on society. This could forbid all schools from putting account someone’s race into their college application. I personally hope this is the outcome of this lawsuit. We as a society have so much racism to tackle, and this lawsuit can only help the issue.

All in all, situations like this are why laws such as Affirmative Action are truly necessary.