The Parking Epidemic

As the 2014 school year draws to a close and more Juniors get their licenses, the off-campus parking on East Street for Colonia High School has become outrageous and ridiculous to say the least.

For the Juniors at Colonia High School, on-campus parking is strictly prohibited. Therefore, the new teen drivers are forced to park on one of the roads leading into the school known as – East Street.

With every passing day, it seems like a new teen driver embraces the road with their new car and parks on East Street. This of course takes away another spot. Now perhaps the parking situation wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t all teen drivers parking. All of which are inexperienced and many are awful parkers.

Parallel parking is unheard of, which is a shame because it seems like some of the kids leave enough room for two cars between the car in front of them. As you look onto the line of cars in the morning, you can’t help but wonder how many more cars could fit if kids would just pull all the way up.

Then of course, there are those who park in the yellow and on side streets despite clearly marked signs. The poor parking has gotten so severe that the Woodbridge Police Department has had to warn the school that they will begin to issue tickets.

The parking is competitive as well, with students coming to school sometimes 30 minutes early just to get a decent spot. This means that getting to school just 20 minutes early could result in you being unable to find a spot at all. And when you finally do make it onto school grounds, you look into a parking lot half empty one dares to think, “what if they let us park there?”