Year in Review: The worst Trump tweets of 2019

Twitter was created in 2006 by Jack Dorsey
Photo Credit: Photo via Pixabay under the Creative Commons License

One lesson many of have been told is if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Another lesson many of us have learned is think before you speak because once it is said, you can’t take it back. Kids are expected to learn and apply these many rules on how to handle situations. But when adults do not follow these rules, it leaves kids wondering why they are held to a different standard.

Donald Trump is the current President of the United States, however, he sometimes does not act professional on the popular social media site, Twitter. Most of the time, he receives backlash from these tweets, but it never seems to stop him. This is a compiled list of his tweets that should not have been posted.

#10 – Fights with a dead man

John McCain died in 2018 of cancer, but Donald Trump still resumes his fight with this man. Taking it to Twitter, as he does every problem, he starts to confront a man who’s already six feet under. In life, we are taught to fight fair and arguing with a dead man is hardly a fair fight.

#9 – Attacks well-known actress, Bette Midler

Bette Midler is well-known for her acting roles in Hocus Pocus, Beaches, and The First Wives Club. Donald Trump, however, is not a fan of her. As he calls her a “washed up psycho” in a tweet. Not only does he attack Midler, he also finds a way to boast about himself. This goes against the previous mentioned lesson that kids are taught about not saying anything if you have nothing nice to say.

#8 – Degrades the city of Baltimore

The city of Baltimore, Maryland is one of the most famous in the country. However, Donald Trump, apparently, is not a fan of this city and starts to insult it by calling it “a disgusting rat and rodent infested mess.” As President, shouldn’t he be trying to fix problems within the country he sees? Kids are taught to be a part of the solution.

#7 – Declares Alabama will be struck by Hurricane Dorian

During 2019, one of the worst hurricanes was Hurricane Dorian, as it effected Florida, South Carolina, and a lot of other southeastern states. However, Alamaba was nowhere near the line of target, but Donald Trump stated it was. After he tweeted this, he was quickly corrected by the National Weather Service of Birmingham, Alabama. Teens are taught to get the facts before they speak and to always fact check the information they put into an essay or presentation.

#6 – Attacks another actress during a hurricane relief effort

Will & Grace actress, Debra Messing, was attacked by Donald Trump after calling him out on how he was dealing with the hurricane. Students are taught to accept constructive criticism and to self- reflect whenever possible on the decisions we have made for self-improvement.

#5 – Posts a his face on Rocky’s body

To distract from the media over the Thanksgiving trip to Afghanastan, Donald Trump decides to post a picture of his face on Rocky’s body. This was probalby posted for laughs, but it really just had followers confused/unamused. Teachers harp on plagiarism constantly in school and these copyright laws include the use of photos. Clearly this photo wasn’t altered enough to not break copyright laws.

#4 – Calls the London mayor a “stone cold loser”

Donald Trump visited London in June, and was not happy about the treatment he recieved when arriving. Instead of recieving royal tratment, it was just like a normal day. Because of this, Trump decided to go to Twitter to unleash his emotions. Students are encouraged to refrain from expressing emotions in the heat of the moment or when one is angry because it never leads to anything good. Small children are taught to use “I” statements when they are upset as to not personally attack someone.

#3 – Tells Congresswomen of color to go back to where they came from

Donald Trump is widely known for his racist comments. He proved this when he suggests that Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley should go back to where they came from. He says: “Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came?” Colonia High School is a community of caring where monthly we have character projects that teach core values. One such value is respecting people’s backgrounds and heritage. Students know that attacking someone on the basis of race or nationality can be deemed a Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB).

#2 – Accuses director, Spike Lee, of racism

Spike Lee, a celebrated African-American film director has directed multiple films including, Malcolm XShe’s Gotta Have It, and Jungle Fever. Many of these films are diverse and includes different storylines. However, Donald Trump had a problem with him. The Golden Rule is taught at a very early age which states treat others the way you want to be treated. If Trump doesn’t want people judging him, he then shouldn’t judge others.

#1 – Trump attacks Joe Biden with an interesting video

After announcing his spot in the 2020 Presidential election, Joe Biden was one of the victims of Donald Trump’s tweets. Trump responds to this news with a video of Joe Biden molesting himself. This tweet was captioned “WELCOME BACK JOE” and included this video: The video is here.   All 50 states including the District of Columbia have adopted laws to prevent and restrict bullying as well as cyberbulling according to StopBullying.gov. On the site parents are encouraged to establish rules and monitor social media accounts for bullying. How can we expect kids to not engage in this mocking behavior, when the man running our country does it?

In 2020, Trump needs to lead by example and think back on all of the lessons I’m sure he was taught as a kid like all of us.