Importance of art education

CHS art students usually showcase their work in the school lobby multiple times per year. The AP art students normally have the opportunity to put an exhibit together like the one seen in this photo.
Photo Credit: Mrs. Danielle Allen

Art education has improved student’s expression skills, mental health, and academically. This type of education has made important impact on student’s lifestyle, and has proven to be the best way for students to express emotions.

Expressing Yourself

Art is a type of way student are able to express themselves without using any words. A single art piece can say a thousand words. This is why art classes are so important. It’s a period where students can sit and focus on what they want to say, and express. Isabel Caetano, senior of Colonia High School, states, “I look at art class as a way to escape what’s surrounding me, and focus what I’m feeling.” As many students can relate, art education help students communicate and create an open mindedness with communities, and themselves.

Mental Health

Another way art education benefits students, is by providing less stress and anxiety. Artistic expression can decrease levels of anger, depression, stress, and anxiety. Art education and classes provides a therapeutic session for students and can help minimize negative thoughts and feelings. Many students feel this way. Melanie Cruz, senior of Colonia High School, says, “I think it helped me during these times [COVID-19] and helped me stay more focused and organized about myself. I feel this whole level of comfort when entering my art classes. I feel like my stress of work, and school life drifts away.” The arts education give students more comfort than any other classes in school. Many feel less stress and more relaxation.

Academic Benefits

A third reason why art education is important is it helps improve student’s academic. Students that take art classes, have improved verbal, reading and math skills. This education provides creativity for students, that can help them in classes like English, and Math. Many studies show that students that take art classes have improved SAT scores in both Math and English section compared to students who don’t take any art courses.  Melanie Cruz says, “I think that it gave me more of a focused mindset, which is reflected in my grades. My grades have been more improved compared to previous years.” 

Overall, this self expressing course, gives students the confidence they need in critical thinking problems, while benefiting their cognitive abilities.