Modeling industry stresses that their clients portray the “ideal” body

Photo Credit: Photo via Freepik under Creative Common Licenses
 Beauty is within that will only shine when one truly believes in themselves.

Confidence is a concept that many young girls and boys struggle to procure. Growing up with social media dictating beauty standards has affected our youth in traumatic ways.

In particular, the modeling industry stresses that their clients portray the “ideal” body. This standard often pushes away a large category of people, leaving them feeling embarrassed.

Problems with Modeling Industry

Today’s models are constantly looked upon as body icons. Young people often wish to be like them and/or look like them. However, the struggles and unrealistic standards these models are held to are extremely unhealthy. These girls starve themselves, force themselves to work out and feel pressure to look “perfect” all the time.

Teens often retouch their photos to make it appear that their nose is slimmer, lips are bigger, or cheeks are higher. These filters are constantly being used by celebrities and beauty icons of today. In effect, cosmetic procedures have never been more popular and common. Nose jobs, facelifts, lip fillers, and botox have ultimately changed the meaning of one’s true beauty.

Teen Depression

Most teen depression and anxiety result from the use of social media. Since COVID-19, teens have been cooped up in their homes with only the comfort of their homes. Considering that their cell phones have been their only way of communication, teens often compare themselves to unrealistic ideals. Teenagers often compare themselves to images of models that have been retouched, blurred, and filtered. This unhealthy comparison and labeling often make young people hurt themselves in ways that are interchangeable.

Freshman Jada Powell has been modeling since she was three years old. Powell explained, “growing up in Amali industry has  given me a low self-esteem. I try my best not to compare myself to other girls but it’s really hard when you really get picked base of your looks.” She also added, “my journey was very hard as I got older because I didn’t reach the height that my former company thought I would reach. So I had to change companies but now I’m somewhere that excepts me the way that I am and my manager is a very sweet person who has always helped me to reach my fullest potential.”

A 2017 study by The Royal Society of Public Health asked 1,500 young people aged 11-25 to track their moods while using the five most popular social media sites. This study states that 90% of 16-24-year-olds use the Internet for social networking. Furthermore,  70% of anxiety and depression rates have increased in the past 25 years.

Body dysmorphia

BDD is the disorder of self-perceived ugliness where surgery has to be done to the internal self-image. Those who suffer from BDD have an exaggerated perception of their ugliness that is 100-fold. About 1.5% of people have BDD despite economic status or ethnicity. This equates to 5 million Americans and also rings true around the world. According to the ADAA, Body Dysmorphic Disorder affects 1.7%to 2.4% of the general population- about 1 in 50 people. The characteristics of BDD are connected with comparisons and judgments that the youth often make.

According to Powell, “Plus size models can and do experience more rejection in general unless they are going to a casting call that is specifically for plus size models. But this all depends on what type of modeling you’re going to be doing.  If you’re going to be doing catalog and magazine and photo shoots then it will be more likely for you to see plus size models. But if you were on a runway, you  most likely won’t see the plus size models because when people are plus size it is harder to find a enough plus size models.  Also, runways designers don’t make outfits for every model’s size. Therefore, all of the models wear the same size outfit regardless of their real size.”

Furthermore, the modeling industry stresses that their clients portray the “ideal” body. This standard often pushes away a large category of people, leaving them feeling embarrassed. Plus-size models often feel the need to lose weight and fit that model “standard.” Most of these models experience sympathy from the public, however, plus-size models want respect for their dedication and hardwood instead. People need to embrace their individuality and love what makes everyone unique. Take advantage of life and live the life you want.  Beauty is within that will only shine when one truly believes in themselves.